A Programming Projet For Beginners
Over the last few months I have spoken with a number of people who are starting with computer programming and one of the first question they ask is, “What project should I work on?”
One answer is a poker game.
Why a poker game?
- It’s a very well understood problem.
- Most people know how poker works and if you don’t know the rules you can easly look it up.
- There is no undefined or unexpected part of the problem.
- You don’t need any special data structors.
- All you need is a few arrays, a few loops and some if/then logic.
- You don’t need lots of fancy graphics.
- The first version can just be a text interface.
- It’s a simple problem that can be extended in many ways.
Start with just a basic game, add graphics, add AI for computer based player, add networking for multi player support, add music or sound effects.